Olen / BELGIUM
September 12, 2017
( P & @ )
The digital works has to be sent in JPEG format with a minimum resolution of 300 dpi (2480 x 3543 pixels)..
Rules and regulation 2017
All contestants will be admitted with no distinction made regarding nationality or age. There are two categories:
• Youth category up to 15 years inclusive;
• Adult category: 16 years and older.
Both professional and non-professional cartoonists are allowed to participate in this contest.
The main theme is ‘Agriculture’. This year Amnesty International offers a special prize to the best cartoon with theme ‘Human Rights’. “Agriculture”
Since man noticed a connection between fallen seeds and the growing of crops, some 9.000 years ago, the possibilities to influence and improve this process have increased. So today we have arrived at the stage of genetic manipulation.
The scale of cultivation, monocultures, irrigation, mechanisation, industrialisation and robotics, the improvement of crops, the immunity against drought, cold and insects, the accelarated aging…
However, this isn’t a mere positive evolution. More can be less: depletion of soils, deforestation, pollution by toxic additives, market related crops that are not cultivated in the need for food supply rather than financial purposes.
Agriculture has ushered a global revolution since the dawn of the human history. What can we expect from it in the future? Fields on Mars, mushrooms from the Moon?
• Contributions have to be digital works. They shouldn’t contain an explanation of the drawing.
• The digital works has to be sent in JPEG format with a minimum resolution of 300 dpi (2480 x 3543 pixels).
• Dimensions including any passe-partout 21 x 30 cm (A4).
• Number of entries per contestant: maximum five for each theme.
• You have to record your contact details through www.olensekartoenale.be.
• You can sign up your participation from 1 July 2017.
• The originals of the rewarded cartoons will be asked and must be sent to
Dorp 1, 2250
within 2 days after the request of the organization.
4. Property rights
Prize-winning works will become the property of the organizer or theme sponsor. All works selected may be used by the organizers to promote the contest and the village of Olen.
The jury consists of artists, cartoonists and laymen. Decisions made by the jury cannot be challenged.
6. Catalogue/Cartoon book
Selected works will be considered for inclusion in a catalogue. The authors of these works will receive a free copy of the catalogue during the prize ceremony or it will be send afterwards by mail.
7. Deadline: 12 September 2017
The deadline is 12 September 2017 at 12.00 AM midnight. The entry form you can find on www.olensekartoenale.be where you also can upload your works. Do not sent your works to firstname.lastname@example.org!
• For the adult category:
1st prize: 1500 euro
2nd prize: 700 euro
3rd prize: 400 euro
4th prize: 300 euro
• For the youth category:
1st prize: 200 euro
2nd prize: 175 euro
3rd prize: 150 euro
4th prize: 100 euro
• Prize of the city of Bialogard (only for Polish participants): 200 euro
• Special prize Amnesty International: 350 euro
9. Prize Ceremony and Exhibition
The prize ceremony will take place at Friday 10 November 2017 at approximately 20.00 h in the council room of the town hall of Olen, Dorp 1, 2250 Olen. Every participating artist will be welcome on that occasion. Only the winners are personally invited.
A selection of the cartoons will also be exhibited at the same address and can be visited:
• Sunday 12 November 2017
• All working days from Monday November 13, 2017 till the end of December 2017 during the opening hours of the town hall:
o Monday 09.00 – 12.00; 13.00 – 16.00; 17.30 – 20.00
o Tuesday 09.00 – 12.00
o Wednesday 09.00 – 12.00; 13.00 – 16.00
o Thursday 09.00 – 12.00
o Friday 09.00 – 12.00.