18th Japan Media Arts Festival
For the 18th Festival in 2015, entries will be accepted from across the globe. Entries are sought in various disciplines of the Media Arts including interactive art, video, websites, games, animation and comics, from professional, amateur, independent and commercial sources..
Monday, July 7, 2014 - Tuesday, September 2, 2014 (18:00 Japan Standard Time)
*Late entries will not be accepted
DivisionsThe Four Divisions (Art, Entertainment, Animation, Manga）
In all divisions professional, amateur, independent and commercial works are eligible for submission.
Works of art created with new media and digital technologies.
Interactive art, media installations, video works, video installations, graphic art (digital illustrations, digital photographs, computer graphics, etc), internet art, media performances, etc.
Works for entertainment created with digital technologies.
Games (video games, online games, etc.), video works (music videos, independent and advertising videos, etc.), multimedia productions (including special effects videos, performances, projections), gadgets, electronics, websites (including web promotions, open source projects), application software, etc.
Animated feature films, animated short films, animated series, etc.
Comics published in book form, comics published in a magazine (including works still being serialized), comics published online (for computer or mobile), self-published comics, etc.
Eligibility Works must be completed or released between:
Friday, September 13, 2013 and Tuesday, September 2, 2014
* Works completed, changed, renewed, presented or released during the above period are eligible for entry.
* While an unlimited number of entries may be made, the same work may not be entered in multiple divisions.
The entrant must hold the copyright of the submitted work. If the work is submitted by a representative, permission from the copyright holder must be obtained.
*Each entrant must read, understand and accept the Rules and Regulations before submission.
*By submitting their work, the entrant is deemed to have accepted all Entry Rules and Regulations as stated.
AwardsFor each division, one Grand Prize, four Excellence Awards, and three New Face Awards will be awarded on the basis of artistic quality and creativity. In addition, a Special Achievement Award will be awarded on the recommendation of the Jury to an individual or group who has made a special contribution to Media Arts in any of the four divisions.
Grand Prize: Certificate*, trophy, 600,000 Japanese Yen
Excellence Award: Certificate*, trophy, 300,000 Japanese Yen
New Face Award: Certificate*, trophy, 200,000 Japanese Yen
Special Achievement Award: Certificate*, trophy
Other outstanding entries will be chosen by the Jury as Jury Selections
(* Certificates will be presented by the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology)
Rules and Regulations
Copyright and Treatment of Entered Works
• The entrant must hold the copyright of the submitted work. If the work is entered by a representative, permission from the copyright holder is required.
• Permission must be obtained from the copyright holder for the use of any art, film, photographs, video images, programs music or any other content used in the submitted work. The entrant takes sole responsibility for resolving any third party claims of infringement of rights and/or claim for damages. The organizer shall not be held accountable in the event of any dispute
• Depending on the form or type of the work, it may be necessary to change the division in which the work has been entered.
• All expenses related to submissions are borne by the entrant.
• Submitted works and reference materials will be returned only in exceptional circumstances.
• In the case of any accidental damage to or loss of submitted work, the organizer shall not be held responsible.
• The Secretariat shall provide no information about the status and results of screening before or after the official announcement.
• The copyright of Award-winning Works shall remain with the entrant.
• The organizer may screen, broadcast, duplicate, print, exhibit and/or publicize on its website domestically and internationally, without compensation, any works for the purposes of announcing the results of the Award-winning Works, exhibiting the Award-winning Works and publicizing the Japan Media Arts Festival.
• Depending on the screening process, additional materials may be required.
Regarding Personal Information
The Japan Media Arts Festival Executive Committee shall make every reasonable effort to prevent disclosure, appropriation, and/or distortion of personal information by adhering to the following guidelines.
1．Use of Personal Information
Personal information submitted by an entrant shall be used only for
（1） Announcement of screening results
（2） Contact for enquiry about submitted works
（3） Statistical analysis for improvement of the Japan Media Arts Festival
（4） Providing information about the Japan Media Arts Festival and related events, and when seeking entries to the Japan Media Arts Festival. (If such disclosure is unacceptable to the applicant, it will be withheld upon request.)
（5） Public announcement of award winners to the media and on the website (the title of the work, winner’s name and affiliation, etc.). We will directly contact each winner to confirm this before making public announcement.)
If personal information is required for use beyond the above reasons, the Secretariat will contact the entrant for permission prior to use.
2．Disclosure to a Third Party
Appropriate efforts shall be made to administer and protect an entrant’s personal information. This personal information shall not be disclosed to any third party without prior consent. In addition, such information shall only be disclosed to a third party when absolutely necessary for operation and management by the Japan Media Arts Festival Secretariat. However, information may be disclosed when consent from the person concerned cannot be obtained, if such disclosure is necessary to protect human life or property, or is required by law.
All entrants must read, understand, and accept the “Entry Rules and Regulations” before submitting work. By submitting their work, the entrant is deemed to have accepted all Entry Rules and Regulations as stated.
Source: Media Arts